**Sorry for the delay, guys! When I told this to auto-post I accidentally put in 2014 instead of 2013, so it would’ve been wicked on-time a year from now 😉 I removed any Monday activities that it’s too late to enjoy.
-Kristina (who’s both a blonde, and had brain surgery….pick your reason I messed up.)
1) Mommy Groups and Field Trips at Animated Child. These are every Monday and offer a discount for large groups. Be sure to get it on your playgroup calendar for fall!
2) Wednesday Preschool Classes at the Freedom Center. They’re on our calendar, but you need to sign up by 10pm tonight! Or, if this week’s too busy, you can always register for next week. These are special summer programs, so they end soon!
3) On Thursday, your older children might enjoy “Survival Training 101” at Leesylvania. To register, or get more information, call 703-583-6904.
4) When’s the last time you had a date night? We’ve got kids night out on our calendar at Vertical Rock, Animated Child, Kids N Motion, All That Jazz!, and Gymnastics World this week (some weeks, there’s more!) Sign up today so your child has a spot! Some of these businesses will cancel if there aren’t enough kids by Wednesday or Thursday.
5) The ARC hosts an Autism Support Group NEXT week on Tuesday, and you need to RSVP for childcare. The ARC of Prince William County facilitates an Autism Parent Support Group that meets the 4th Tuesday of each month. This parent-run group offers support, education, and social opportunities for families who have children (of any age) on the Autism spectrum. Child care is available. Call 703-730-3124 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, August 19
This week, I added some of the “standing” county parks events to the calendar. Things like the Fun Center at Locust Shade Park (batting cage, putt putt golf, driving range) and Paddle Boats/Kayak Rentals at Lake Ridge Park Marina. They’re not special events, but they’re only open part of the year, so I hope you’ll take advantage!
Tuesday, August 20
Tuesdays mean cheap movies, and we’ve got the ones at University Mall Theater and Manassas 4 Cinema on the calendar this week. University Mall is showing Monsters University, Epic, and Hotel Transylvania in the G/PG ratings range, and tickets are $2. Manassas 4 has Planes, and tickets are $5.
Also, you can join LLL Woodbridge for their monthly meeting. Obviously, nursing children (and siblings) are welcome. The meeting is at Grace Baptist (off Spriggs Road) at 10:30. Also for moms, HOPE (for those who have lost an infant or a pregnancy) meets in the evening at 7pm at Church of the Word in Gainesville. For more information, you can contact RobinLSchroeder@verizon.net.
At 5pm, have you tried Family Yoga at Soaring Spirit in Occoquan yet? Drop-in rate is $17 a class, or you can purchase a pass.
Wednesday, August 21
Mister Don will be at Stonebridge at 10am. Don’t forget to bring your own lawn chairs if you want them!
Thursday, August 22
At 7pm, check out the free military band concert at Harris Pavilion. Their repertoire is usually loud, march-y, and fun. You’ll be outdoors, and seating is limited, so if you have camping chairs or a picnic blanket, it’s a good idea!
Friday, August 23
Word to the History Buffs among you, the Manassas Civil War Weekend starts on Friday and runs through Sunday. My top pick for kids is actually the Civil War Parade on Saturday at 10am, but there will be various events all weekend long.
At 7pm, Dumfries Cares will be offering a family fun night where you can register for their free after school program or register for free parenting classes, as well as participating in fun games and activities for the whole family. I don’t know much about this program, but the price is certainly right!)
Saturday, August 24
Starting at 8am, First Baptist Church of Manassas will be giving away backpacks of school supplies on a first-come basis while supplies last. If you’re having trouble affording school supplies this year, they’d like to help you out.
Lowe’s Build and Grow will be a Shrek-themed onion carriage. Don’t forget to register online!
In the evening, you have several options, including a free concert at Leesylvania (Bring Bug Spray. You’ll thank me later) at 7pm, the Muppet Movie at Stonebridge at 7pm, or Oz the Great and Powerful at Signal Hill Park at 7:45pm.
Sunday, August 25
At 3pm, check out a free concert with bonus free ice cream at the Harris Pavilion. Bring your own chairs if you have them as seating is limited.
Prefer your ice cream indoors? At 4pm, Pump it Up has bouncing and “Sundaes on Sunday”.