Guest Post: Eating for Two

Earlier this summer, I asked you for your fitness/health/nutrition related questions for Max Muscle Owner Corry Matthews to respond to. Thanks, Corry! 

Eating for Two
You’ve always considered yourself a healthy eater.  You take special precaution to make sure you
have enough protein, the right amount and types of carbs, you’ve included the
5-9 servings of fruits and veggies and the good fats…but now you’re about to
have a baby or just had one…now what? 
The same principles of healthy eating and supplementation apply to
pregnancy and postpartum but the difference is – what you eat, your baby also
eats.  Many moms find that they actually
eat healthier knowing their baby is eating what they are eating.  However (yep, me included) many moms also
like to indulge in their yummy, not so healthy friends – the fast food,
desserts and oh so necessary salt – THAT IS OK TOO!
Lets talk specifics:
Prenatal Nutrition:
With a growing baby in the uterus, mom will go through many
different phases of what she is craving and what she wants to eat.  Here are the basics:
•                Protein
– provides the basic building blocks for growing tissue (aka BABY).  The National Academy of Science recommends
74-100 grams of protein per day during pregnancy.  Try to get protein in small amounts
throughout the day – not into eating meat, try protein shakes, and dairy.
•                Carbohydrates
– ah, this number is elevated during pregnancy to give the mom and baby
energy.  The RDA (recommended daily
allowance) is 175 grams per day.  My rule
of thumb, 80% of the time choose healthy carbohydrates and the other 20% choose
what your body is really craving – sweets, salt, etc.
•                Fats –
have a variety of fat daily.  Great
choices include nuts, avocado, olive oils and fatty fish.  Pay careful attention to fish with high mercury
levels and eat them no more than once per week (albacore tuna).
•                Remember,
you only need an additional 200-300 calories in the 2nd and 3rd
trimesters.  Most women only need to gain
25-35 pounds of weight during pregnancy; anything above this is weight you will
be working extra hard in the gym post baby to take off, while you are overly
tired and adjusting to a new schedule. 
So, indulge, but not too much!
_____________________________________________________________
This post is brought to you by Corry Matthews, owner of Max Muscle Sports Nutrition in Manassas and Springfield.  Corry is a mother of 2, author, and certified nutrition expert with a speciality in pregnancy-related nutrition. You can reach her at: 
                                                         Corry Matthews 703-772-7113